The conference agenda provides an overview and details of sessions. In order to view sessions on a specific day or for a certain room, please select an appropriate date or room link. You may also select a session to explore available abstracts and download papers and presentations.
02-13: Implementing Land Administration Projects
Improved land registration in Plateau State and its impact on land market and government revenue
1Plateau Ministry of Lands, Survey and Town Planning, Nigeria; 2Thomson Reuters, Canada; 3Teqbridge Ltd., Nigeria
This paper describes the encouraging business benefits on the land market and government revenue after delivering the upgrade of the Plateau Geographical Information System (PLAGIS) in 2015. The Plateau government invested in the whole process to enhance institutional framework and provide a streamlined solution to the Ministry of Lands, Survey and Town Planning.
To conclude, a final section of this paper focuses on the positive impact in a business indicator related to property registry by transforming the Land Registry Office in an example of land governance and revenue generator from increasing land transactions and for the recovery of the public confidence in the institution. The changes in reducing the duration of time to issue land property C of Os created a better business environment in Plateau and an assurance from the general public related to transparency, which mitigates corruption at the government level and also support breakdown bureaucratic bottlenecks.
Meeting the Governance Challenges of Agriculture Land Registration in Nigeria
Hohenheim University, Germany
This paper addresses the need for meeting the governance challenges of agricultural land registration in Nigeria. This variable was investigated in the premises that land for agricultural purposes has not attained its full potentials in Nigeria. Whereas, Nigeria has a total land mass of 923,738 Square Kilometers of which only 3 percent is registered, thereby leaving the sum of 97% unregistered. The effect is shown in the fact that farmer will become vulnerable in the case of land expropriations and government acquisition of land resulting in low agricultural investment from both subsistence and commercial farmers. Therefore, the objective of this investigation is to ascertain the challenges involved in titling and registering agricultural land and the extent to which agricultural land registration could benefit small farmer holders that are considered land rich and cash poor in the use of land for agricultural purposes.
Digital Cadastre with Manual Land Tenure Systems Scale-Up in Ethiopia
1NIRAS Responsible And Innovative Land Administration(REILA_2) Projec In Ethiopia; 2Ministry Of Agriculture and Natural Resource Rural Land Administration and Use Directorate; 3Hanas Luftbild
The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia is a large, ecologically diverse country with nine regions. Though the land administration is legislated at the federal level, the regional states have significant powers to adopt the legislation according to their social needs. In an effort to accelerate the land administration services and promote standardization across all regions, the National Rural Land Administration Information System (NRLAIS) was developed for the Rural Land Administration and Use Directorate of the Ethiopian Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Responsible and Innovative Land Administration (REILA) I and II projects are supporting the Directorate, funded by MFA Finland and implemented by NIRAS as a lead company (DAI as a partner in REILA II). NRLAIS developed in line with the current semi-digital land tenure procedures, parcel identifications as a pipeline. The system will now be scaled-up across the regions along existing manual land tenure archiving practices.
Best Practice in Land Administration Project Implementation: Challenging Existing Orthodoxies in Customary Land Governance in Ghana
This paper assesses the extent to which the Ghana Land Administration Project (LAP) established Customary Land Secretariats (CLSs) as a ‘best practice’ mechanism in challenging the existing orthodoxies of oral land grants, marginalization of women’s land rights and the general lack of transparency and accountability in customary land governance has achieved these objectives. Mixed methods were used in 12 selected CLSs and the results showed appreciable progress in the documentation of land transactions with over 39,000 documentations in the CLSs covered, improved women’s land rights and involvement in land related decision-making processes. However, the customary authorities were the dominant actors in the land decision making processes with negative implications for transparency and accountability. The study concludes that the CLS is a vital structure for improved customary land governance and recommends a third phase of LAP for sustained efforts at improving land governance in Ghana.